Thursday, February 4, 2010

Events of the Past Week

I really havn't done much that I can think of this past week. In biology class we are studying fungus which is nice because it is easy to get specimens for study, especially in the rainy season. Then yesterday, I was invited to a send off party for someone getting married. Life here revolvles around major events in life weddings and funerals. I was similar to a wedding. A lot of dancing and food and soda. It was nice quite long though. It started around two and ended around eight at night or thats when we left at least. But, other than the persistent rain (it was all outside) I found it quite enjoyable. First the bride marches in and they introduce the family, the groom, and all her friends. Then they give her gifts and sing songs about her leaving and getting married. I was the only white person there so I got a real experience. During the pictures they asked me to be in them for the sole reason that was white. Though I had never met neither bride nor groom. Anyways just another facet of Tanzanian life.

1 comment:

  1. Today we learned about fungal infections in pediatrics class. Are those common too?

    ReplyDelete