Monday, February 8, 2010

Homemade Ice-cream

In my spare time lately I have been working on a homemade ice-cream maker. I got the idea one day while rummaging through the shop where I found a hand drill that I thought could be transformed into ice-cream maker. I tend to get many ideas about all the things I can build but often they are not all feasible.
The ice-cream maker, thankfully, was different. After months of sporadic labor I finally finished it last Friday and I was just in time, for on Sunday one of my friends had a birthday. Perfect chance, I thought, only in my excitement I forgot that I needed cream. Well, I resorted to my only option which was to go and beg the Masai early Sunday morning for three liters of milk. Then I was ready start making the ice-cream. Even as I was making the mixture memories from home came drifting up to my nose; peach, and it smelled good. Then I put it into my makeshift five-gallon bucket/spare gears from a drill ice-cream maker and began to crank. It never froze all the way but compared to the way it tasted that was a small matter. People enjoyed it and I enjoyed giving them a taste of home.

5 comments:

  1. super cool! you need to post the directions on how to make one complete with pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome! Can you come to my wedding and be the official ice cream chef!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I'm really curious - how about posting some pictures and instructions? I review ice cream makers at The Ice Cream Maker so I definitely want to know more about the cool contraptions creative people like you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you make us a new ice-cream maker at home? They are always breaking.

    ReplyDelete