Saturday, December 5, 2009

Package

I have for some time now been waiting for a package from my family. Packages take some time to get here so after a month I was not too worried. As weeks passed by and one month became two, I became more and more expectant for the goodies I was soon to receive. Well, the other day, I was joking to one of the boys here that my package was sure to come that day. This was not the first time that I was sure my package was to come that day, and all other times I had been disappointed. This day, however, turned out to be different. Just as the words had left my mouth, Vusi, a man from South Africa, drove up and told me that I had gotten my package. There it was in the back of his car. Perfectly wrapped in its beautiful, blue and white United States Postal Service tape. Well, needless to say, I was very happy with the package. Actually more happy with what the package contained. Wonderful treats. It is amazing how little things from home can have such special meaning to you when you have not seen them for a long time. Like the farming magazine that my family sent me. It was quite a delight. Or the pest control form that my sister filled out for my room, indicating on it that I had every kind of cockroach and spider infesting my house. (Its not so bad really). In the end it made me wonder whether or not it is more blessed to give than receive, but after thinking about I decided my family probably got more joy in sending the package than I got in receiving. But, boy it sure was nice.

Disclaimer: This was not a dissertation to make everyone who reads it feel like they must send me a package. Rather, it is a grateful recipient sharing his thoughts, feelings, and emotions upon receiving a taste of home.

3 comments:

  1. Yay! I am glad that you like your package! It sure was fun to gather up little things to send to you. I had a hard time fitting in the farm journal at first, but HAD to get it in for you. Love you! Oh.. it is snowing here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well...we did just send out Christmas packages from Southern today. Actually, we gave them to church members who will hopefully be sending them on Monday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrew, what good news! I was hoping your package would arrive soon. We shipped it on October 23. Sounds like it took about 6 weeks.
    Enjoy with love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete