Friday, December 11, 2009

Earthquake!

Well, this week was real exciting. I was able to feel my first earthquake. On Sunday night other people here felt two earthquakes. Nothing much, just a little shaking of the gound and the house creaking. However, I didn't feel a thing and was real dissapointed that I had missed my opportunity. Then, on Wednesday morning, I was laying in my bed reading my bible, when if felt thump, thump, thump as my bed shook with the convulsions of the earth. It didn't last long, maybe fifteen seconds. Then all was peace and quite. At first I didn't realize what was going on (half groggy waking up phase), then I became aware of what it was and wished I could feel another one so that I could analyze it more. Well, I got what I wished for because, lo and behold, a minute or so later another, more powerful tremor sent my bed into uncontrollable spasms. For me it was wonderful. As for the group leader who lives in the other part of my house, he thought the day of Judgement had arrived. Later that day I found out that the epicenter was down near Lake Malawi, and was measured around 5.9 on the Richter Scale. There was some damage done in the south part of the country but nothing was hurt here. Even today there was a minor earthquake but maybe it is just to remind us that this world is not our home.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Reminds me of the earthquake when I was in Nicaragua... it woke me up, but all I cared about was our guard running away yelling to the village about the quake... leaving Kathilee and I by ourselves. Wished I could have remembered it. Glad you got a second chance to feel it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's crazy! I've never experienced an earthquake... Another reminder of how fragile and puny we are.

    You are greatly missed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a lot braver than me. The few times I felt minor earthquakes, I really felt like the world was ending too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Incredible! I have not had to opportunity to feel the earth quake beneath my feet. But sooner or later I will. How awesome that will be!

    "The King of kings descends upon the cloud, wrapped in flaming fire. The heavens are rolled together as a scroll, the earth trembles before Him and every mountain and island is moved out of its place."

    GC 641

    ReplyDelete