Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Wildfire!

Yesterday we had a fire. I was in the midst of writing an email to my sister when I heard about it so, I abrubtly ended my email and we went racing to the flames. It is still dry season so everything is really dry and on top of that it is also really windy which makes fires frequent and severe. We have an old Army truck here with a water tank mounted on the back to fight the fires. First the truck goes through and sprays the fire then every one follows behind with a branch in their hand and beat out the remaining flames. It works fairly well except that a branch is not very durable, especially after repeated beatings on the ground. our fire was not to big and after we made sure it wouldn't burn down campus we just let it burn. As I went to bed last night I could still see the flames in the distance makeing the sky red like a perpetual sunset, it was beautiful. It was a great experience and sure added variety to my day.

2 comments:

  1. Wow sounds exciting! Forget the farmer stuff, just be a firefighter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's a suggestion of something I wanted to do as an SM but never did. Keep track of all the titles you bear during your SM year:
    -farmer
    -firefighter
    -teacher...

    ReplyDelete