Friday, March 19, 2010

Addresses

This past week for English class my students have been writing letters. It is a good excercise for them to practice there english on. I told them that if they knew the address of someone here in Tanzania they could write to them. If not I could give them the address of someone in Europe or America and we could write letters there. Well all of them opted to write letters to local people exept for two wanted to write to their sisters who lived far away. However, they did not know the addresses. All they knew was the town they lived in. But that was enough I guess because by the end of class they had the addresses written on the letters and told me the were ready to mail. I was a bit supspicious, no one at one moment dosent know the address of thier sister and then the next does. So I decided to do a little investigation. One of the letters was written to PO Box 58 Dar es Salaam. And when I looked on the back of the notebooks the students use I saw that the company's address who makes the paper was, PO Box 58 Dar es Salaam. Alas, she assumed that since the address on her notebook said Dar es Salaam and her sister lived in Dar es Salaam that the letter would go to her sister. I explained to them the next class how addresses work and thought all would be settled. But, later another one of my students told me she wanted to write a letter to a friend in Dar es Salaam. Do you know the address I queried? "Yes," she said prouldy, and then pointed at her note-book, "I found it right here." Ah well.

1 comment: