Sunday, November 15, 2009

Chameleon

Tanzania has some of the most diverse wildlife anywhere. Besides the normal lions (I have yet to see one),Elephants and zebras, it also has other small less noticable creatures such as the chameleon. When I say less noticeable, I mean that they are hard to find. The fact that they are very small (around six inches) and can change colors only makes the task that much harder. One of the missionary boy's, Tim, who is about seven years old told me that he would help me find one. So one day he and I went out in the trees looking for a chameleon. We searched and searched for over an hour but with no success, he told me that he would keep looking for one and when he found one he would save it until I could see it. Well, that was two weeks ago and still we had found no chameleon, however on Friday I went to Tims house and he was all excited, there on his hand was a small green chamelon. They are so cool. When I held him he suddenly got little dark spots all over him and then once he got stripes. Very crazy animals.
We tried and tried to get him to eat a bug so I could see his tongue out but he was not hungry but he wouldn't eat anything we placed in front of him. Right before I was going to leave Tim put the chameleon on the couch and he crawled down in the crack between the cushions. When we pulled him the most amathing had happened, instead of being lime green he had turned a dark grey almost completely black. I was impressed. So now I am a big fan of the tiny chameleon.

2 comments:

  1. So cool you got to see one in real life. I think they are pretty cool in National Geographic.

    ReplyDelete